Monday "blues" - Pinyon and Mountain

Nicky and I went to the Salt Lake Cemetery today and the trees were crawling
with BROWN CREEPERS, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and JUNCOS.  Creepers are hard
enough to find any time but to see them bathing in the gutters right
outside our car was a real treat!  We also saw a RED-TAILED HAWK, NORTHERN
FLICKER, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE and a SCRUB JAY in the same vicinity.

Then out at Lee Kay Ponds we saw one lonely little COMMON MERGANSER, many
CANADA GEESE, BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS and fifty-million (and I'm not
exaggerating) SEAGULLS.

Around Stockton, in Tooele County, we saw two BALD EAGLES flying overhead
and at our next stop on the way home, Ophir Canyon, we found about 50
PINYON JAYS telling jokes and laughing in a farmer's field.  They were
eating something on the ground and they were joined by RED-WINGS,
STARLINGS, HOUSE FINCHES and JUNCOS. The jays kept flying overhead to the
hills and then coming back down again for seconds. Talk about a party!

Saving the best for last--in MERCUR CANYON about a mile up the road at 4:30
PM we saw 5 MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS flying from bush to bush. A nice Monday case
of the "blues".

Carol