Not Exactly a World Traveler...

Back in October or so, I saw a collared Canada Goose in a stubble field in Syracuse northwest of the 2000W/Antelope Island Drive intersection in Davis County.  I took down the numbers and with great anticipation reported the goose to the Patuxent Bird Banding Laboratory in Maryland.

Then my imagination took hold.  >From whence did this longed-winged one come?  What exotic North American destination had hatched this migrant?  What cold place had felt the melancholia produced by departing V-shaped formations that foretold the icy grip of long, dark Old Man Winter?  The Yukon Territories?  Manitoba?  Nunavut, even?

I received a reply today from Rich Hansen of Utah and alas, my flights of fancy were in vain.  The goose was hatched at Farmington Bay WMA, a mere dozen miles south of the Syracuse location.  At Farmington, researchers are studying the migratory patterns of locally-produced Canada Geese.  Researchers believe that after the first shots are fired in October, locally-bred Canadas move to urban areas like municipal parks, ponds, and the like.  Bummer.  My collared goose wasn't even a Canadian Canada Goose.

Should you come across a collared goose in your travels, please report the sighting to the Patuxent Bird Banding Laboratory and copy in Rich Hansen at richhansen@utah.gov.  The Patuxent info takes a long time to trickle down to him.

Perhaps unlike me, you'll sight a world traveler.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/

Kris