Yellow-shafted Flicker, Blue Jays, Bohemian Waxwings, Merlin in Cache Valley

Tom Gordon reports from Clarkston in Cache Valley that he has had a Yellow-shafted Flicker hanging out at his feeders along with the Red-shafted Flickers and that the pair of Blue Jays are still there since they showed up this past October.

Alice Lindahl reports from the USU campus of a couple of Bohemian Waxwings mixed in with the Cedar Waxwings, between the Student Center and Geology building, eating off of the crabapple trees.

Also, Jean Lown reported seeing a Merlin flying very low above her, while she was cross country skiing on the HPER field at USU. I am suspecting that this could very well be the Merlin I saw this past Sunday in my backyard at the top of a dead white birch tree.

Yesterday, I noticed a mess of feathers in my front yard, and I suspect the Merlin, who I witnessed zooming over the tops of my trees, just looking for one of the hundreds of Pine Siskins, to fly into his path.
How I wish I could have witnessed that!!

Also, I would like to publicly thank Bill Fenimore for a very entertaining and informative talk and presentation last night at the Bridgerland Audubon Society General meeting. What a cool guy!
Very knowledgable, friendly and a true friend to the natural environment.
Cheers Bill!

Stephen Peterson
_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________