Dr. Doolittling around the feeders

Hi,
If any of you have success stories relating to getting the birds at your backyard feeders to tolerate your presence (be less afraid), I'd love to hear them.

I've had some small success at playing "statue" near a feeder. New birds coming in, that weren't there when I initially approached the feeder, have come in and landed close but only for short durations. Last winter a lone Red-Winged Blackbird allowed my approach within four feet; and last March/April my visiting Eurasian Collared Dove (when courting the Mourning Doves) practically ignored my presence when within ten feet.

If there is a proven process for making them less afraid, please share. Visibly filling feeders when my birds are around only scares them off.
Thanks,
John