First Birds 2005

We've had a lot of small birds at the feeders recently. The birds I saw
yesterday included Black-capped Chickadees, a variety of finches and
sparrows (I'm not so good at ID-ing them yet. Several finches had orangy
heads) and American Goldfinches.
Today I saw a pair of Flickers in my apple trees, one was checking the
branches for bugs and the other was pecking flesh from remaining apples.
They stayed for about 15 minutes.
I've noticed an increase in smaller birds, most particularly Chickadees,
since filling my feeders with black oil sunflower seed. I think the
Chickadees may be roosting in our pine and hawthorne trees, I hear them
calling quite a bit.
Good Birding in the New Year!
Linda