FW: Hansen Dam Trumpeter Swan Photos

From: Steve Sosensky <Steve@Sosensky.com>
To: LACoBirds <LACoBirds@yahoogroups.com>, CalBirds <CalBirds@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Hansen Dam Trumpeter Swan Photos
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:54:02 -0800
Hi All,
I have put some photos of the Trumpeter Swan (found today at Hansen Dam by Dennis Kroeplin) on my web site at
http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Swan_Trumpeter.htm
For those who have not read the previous posts on LACoBirds, this is a HY bird, neck banded with pink underwings. The yellow neck band reads 8Y3, indicating that this is the same bird seen in October in Utah with 9Y3, the Trumpeter that showed up in Santa Barbara.
This information on these two birds is online at <http://www.utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdnet/msg01006.html>http://www.utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdnet/msg01006.html:
================== quoted message =====================
Stephen,
Thanks for reporting the banded trumpeters. I will forward this information to Darlene Kilpatrick, who is responsible for monitoring the birds' winter movements under Lauri Hanauska-Brown of the Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game. Darlene's contact info is:
E-mail: darluvbug at yahoo dot com
Phone: 208.390.7990
By the way, I recently learned that not all banded swans are trumpeters. I saw a tundra swan sporting a black collar several weeks ago. I have since learned that various agencies study trumpeter, tundra, and mute swan movements, and that each specie has neck collars of specific colors. More information can be found at
  <http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/homepage/swan.htm>http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/homepage/swan.htm
Trumpeters swans are given green, red or yellow collars with 3 character combinations with one letter. Tundra swans sport gray, black or blue collars with either 4 character combinations with the letter first (LNNN) - or - 3 character combinations with two letters (LLN, LNL, NLL). Mute swans will have white collars only with 4 character combinations with 2 letters first (LLNN).
Thanks again,
Lu Giddings
cllslp at msn dot com wrote:
>Bridgerland Audubon Society field trip on Saturday, Nov. 20, 2004
>produced 6 Trumpeter Swans at the SouthEast inlet of the reservoir.
>2 of them had yellow neck tags, #s 8Y3 and 9Y3 respectively. And
>both had underparts of wing painted pink.
>These 2 birds kept to themselves, in the shallows. The other 4
>bunched together and were about 20 feet away. We got great looks at
>all birds and we concluded that they all were Trumpeters.
>The other 4 birds were not tagged or marked in any way.
>We observed them from 9:50 am to 10:15 am, watching the 2 tagged
>swans fly towards the South, circle back around and over the other 4
>swans. The other 4 swans then lifted off and joined the 2 tagged
>swans, flying North over the reservoir and then circling back to
>land in the same spot where we previously spotted them. We could
>hear the swans nasal honking as they flew by. Gray-brown plumage was
>evident, larger bill with black at the base, with faint pink
>coloring in middle of bill.
>I must have deleted the email of the person from Idaho Fish & Game
>that was asking for any Trumpeter reports. If anyone has that
>information, please pass that on to me or go ahead and send that
>person this sighting.
========= end quoted message ===========
Good birding,
Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides            www.sosensky.com/guides/
         <mailto:steve@sosensky.com>  for general use
         <mailto:mobile@sosensky.com> rare birds and emergencies only
Toluca Lake, CA 91602       818-508-4946     34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/  www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________