RE: Best bird/experience of 2004!

I have two best birding experiences of the year.

The first would be my trip to Washington, late July, where I backpacked the northern coast on the Ozette Lake loop trail, where I saw 6 Black Oystercatchers, 2 dozen Harlequin Ducks, countless Bald Eagles and a beautiful Peregrine Falcon. I also saw a Pacific Slope Flycatcher on the trail, within the forest. The Oystercatcher, Harlequin and Flycatcher were life birds for me.

The second best birding experience, was right here in Cache Valley, on airport road, where in August I spent 3 weeks watching a large group of Short-eared Owls almost every night. There were at least 10 or more Owls that I would see, that would come and circle right above me on the road and one that actually came to hover right outside the drivers side door, glaring me down! I love Owls and this was the closest I have ever gotten to Short-eareds, and to be able to observe them in the setting light of late summer was a treat.

Good Birding in 2005!
Stephen Peterson

_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________