If You Can't Pish, Chish!

I birded Smithfield Cemetery in Cache County today.  The cemetery is relatively open and surrounded by a residential neighborhood.  However, many large mature conifers, including spruce, pine, cedar, and juniper, provide cover and food for various species.  Thanks to Merrill Webb for the tip on this great little birding spot, and to Sylvia Gray for providing the inspiration to get me there.

I saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk, a Red-tail, Northern Flickers, American Crows, Black-capped and Mountain Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, Townsend's Solitaires, American Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Dark-eyed Juncos, a female Cassin's Finch, House Finches, RED CROSSBILLS, and Pine Siskins.

The robins, solitaires, and starlings were having a heyday in several mature juniper trees.  One of the solitaires did its best to defend the tree from the incursion of eaters, but the solitaire had no luck at all.  There were just too many competitors.  I stood beneath one of the trees and all the activity above caused frosty blue berries to shower down on me.  It was like a rainstorm.  I'm pretty sure that juniper berries were the only substance that was...errr...dropping while I was below that tree.

I listened and listened and listened for Brown Creepers because Brown Creepers and cemeteries just go together.  I was sure they had to be there.  Finally, I heard them calling from a particularly thick spruce.  I stood under the spruce and attempted to pish them down.  No luck there, but not because the birds didn't respond.  My face was immobile due to the cold.  I couldn't pish at all because I couldn't form the sound with my mouth.  Now I know what it must feel like to get a botox injection.  So I chished instead and made a big rackett.  No less than FIVE Golden-crowned Kinglets descended through the branches of that tree and twitched excitedly until I gave up the chishing.  Later I realized that their high-pitched contact calls had been mixed with the creeper calls.  Two Brown Creepers made an appearance as well.  So you know the lesson here...if you can't pish, chish.

The Red Crossbills appeared in a flock of 20-25 birds in the very tops of the tall spruces and firs along the north side of the cemetery.  They came and went and came and went.  The group was a mix of classic-plumaged red males, yellow-green females, orangy-looking birds that I presume were first-year males, and streaky-brown juveniles.  On their second arrival, only four red males and a female appeared first.  This small group worked over thick bunches of cones at the tree tops, hanging upside-down and firmly planting themselves within the clusters.  Despite the fact that crossbills are noisy and restless birds, when they got down to feeding I could hardly tell where they were.  Later, I heard the rest of the flock coming in from afar.  One of the crossbills perched on a branch like a sentry and "kip-kipped" to signal the incoming flock.  The flock boomeranged off its course to join the early arrivals.  The signal worked just as it does with duck and geese calling to new birds to join their flocks.

Early in the afternoon I heard a small noise and turned to see two mule deer does each with two fawns, filtering between the headstones.  The four fawns looked dusky and gray and fluffy.  They stopped under a large spruce where the grass showed through the snow.  They grazed in the cold, bright sunlight.  One of the fawns moseyed over to a headstone where a flower pot was placed snugged up against the granite.  The fawn reached down and chewed the brown and crisp leaves of the potted plant that was long past its blooming time.  After the deer left I walked over to the headstone to read the history of the person who was buried there.  It was a baby boy, who lived only for 4 months in 1989.  It seemed somehow appropriate that the little deer had chosen to forage at the little one's grave.  I thought perhaps it was a blessing of a sort.

To reach Smithfield Cemetery, drive north on US 91 (a.k.a. Main Street) out of Logan.  Approximately 7.5 miles later, turn right (east) on Center Street after the 7-Eleven/Citgo in Smithfield.  You'll find the cemetery in .4 miles.

Kris