Rosy-Finches in Utah County

I saw Black and Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches today along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Orem near the North Rim of the Mouth of Provo Canyon. I found a group of about 8 birds feeding between patches of snow on a steep rocky hillside. They were mostly Black Rosy-Finches with a couple Gray-crowned. I watched them for about 20 minutes when they flew up, flew around the next hill, then came back with a flock of about 50 Rosy-Finches and landed back on the hill above me. They weren?t there long when they were spooked by a Kestrel and flew off to the North over the vast expanse of foothills. When the flock flew over I compared black chests to brown chests and estimated the flock was about 75% Black Rosy-Finches.

To get to the trail head for this section of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail turn North off 800 North Orem onto 800 East then turn right immediately after the cemetery (there is a brown ?Bonneville Shoreline Trail? sign on a telephone pole) then turn left before the water treatment plant. I saw the birds about ½ mile East (towards Provo Canyon) along the trail/road.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777