finches

I have a small flock (30) of house finches frequenting our bird feeders and they have no diseases this year. They aren't at the feeder today because the SS Hawk is in the peanut tray eating a house sparrow. They're probably  hiding in the honeysuckle vine that gives them such good cover. The wild area down the block by a canal is being cleaned out to accommodate yet another house which will, no doubt, increase their desperation.  Also at our feeders, I  usually have a small flock (about a dozen) of American Goldfinch and about 5 Juncos, 4 Flickers, 1 Scrub-Jay and 5 of those darn Magpies. We plugged in the heated bird bath and they all love it.

I finally lured a Dark-eyed oregon race Junco up to our patio with some shelled Black Oil seeds in a bowl on the patio table and was able to get a half-decent photo.

Check it out at

http://home.earthlink.net/~birdutah/h_juncode_ore.html