Re: [birdnet] red-throated loon and white-winged scoters still at Hyrum Reservoir, Ross's geese?

Hi all,

The beach area at Hyrum State Park is about a mile EAST of the main entrance to the park, not north as stated by Lu Giddings.

If you walk along the beach, you are also heading east, not north.

Good birding,
Richard

The white-winged scoters were a little harder to find. After parking at
the top of the day-use area - it is behind a locked gate at the top of a
steep hill and about a mile north of the state park and the boat ramp -
I walked down into the day-use area and then about 100 yards north along
the beach. I stopped behind some low trees and watched a pair of
white-winged scoters swimming several hundred yards from the beach.
These appear to be juvenile birds; at first I thought that one of them
was a surf scoter until it moved its wings and the tell-tale white
patches became conspicuously visible. This was at about 4:45 p.m.