Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 10:31 AM
Subject: [BirdTalk] Re: [birdnet] R-b Nuthatches (Fri.) & Blue Jay (Wed.)

On a related note, I recently spent 2 weeks shooting in Idaho and Yellowstone NP.  During that time I saw 7 Grizzly and 7 Black Bears.  One Griz sow and two Black sows had cubs.  Last year we only saw one Black Bear.

The bears seem to have retreated from the high country early this year - probably due to a drought-related shortage of whitebark pine nuts and berries.  They are now in hyperphasia, consuming vast amounts of calories directly before
hibernation.