Winter hawks

Coming out of Goshen Canyon sUNDAY toward I-15 we saw our first FERRUGINOUS
HAWKS of the season (3 of them), a PRAIRIE FALCON and a NORTHERN HARRIER
fighting over dinner, a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, more NORTHERN HARRIERS, and
RED-TAILED HAWKS. We also saw a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE in the same area.

On River Lane we saw lots of BLACK-CAPPED and MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, DARK-EYED JUNCOS, NORTHERN
FLICKERS, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and a few SPOTTED TOWHEES.

The fields where the White Ibis used to hang out (on the south side) were
still occupied by CATTLE EGRETS.  Seems a little late for them to be here.

At the Geneva Ponds (early in the morning) we saw a CORMORANT, PIE-BILLED
GREBE and CALIFORNIA QUAIL.  There was a CLARK'S GREBE at the Provo Marina
along with some possible LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. Along the airport dike,
which is now paved from the west end, we saw a very large dark hawk.  We
were hoping it was the Common Black-Hawk but it was probably just a
dark-morph juvenile red-tail. We could never get close enough for a
positive ID.

At Mountain Springs off the Springville exit closest to Provo we found a
lone female WOOD DUCK.  If you follow the road in that business area all
the way back to the stop sign and turn left (east), it was in the first
pond on the south side.  Beautiful! We'd never seen one that close.

Carol