Sabine's Gull, YES - Brant, NO, and a MERLIN

I got in last night and decided the best way to start off my week here would be
to try to locate teh Sabine's Gull and teh Brant.  I headed upto AI causeway
around 9 am and after searching for about two horus I located the lil guy after
a group of Gulls on the southside of the road, about 350 meter west of the
first bridge flushed.  The triangular white wing mark caught my eye, before it
landed and I was able to watch it for abotu 15 - 20 minutes.

Another interesting sighting was a flock of 54 Killdeer along the causeway all
together around marker 3 I believe.  Very odd.

Next I headed up to Bear River NWR to search for the Brant, but was unsuccesful
in locating the bird.  In fact on the main impoundment there were very few
dabblers and coots, and absolutely no GEESE of any species.  In all I was able
to see about 30 Canada Geese in outer areas around the Tour loop but no Brant.
If my fall break could have been one wek earlier... such is life.

Also of interest at the refuge were several flocks of Tundra Swans about 1/2
mile north of the main building at the refuge flying east to west and vice
versa between ponds.

Finally when I returned to Salt Lake I spotted a MERLIN along I-80 at about 1000
East on a telephone pole across from Fairmont Park.  Fairly early for this
species, but the front last night probably helped move a few birds through.

Hopefully the rest of the week will bring a few more birding trips before I head
back to the Flatlands of southern Wisconsin.

Good Birding.

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT or Beloit, WI
http://www.timaverybirding.com