Helping the Johnny-Go-Lately Hummers

To my great surprise, this morning I hosted a Selasphorous hummingbird--either a female/immature male Broad-tailed or a female Rufous Hummingbird.  I hope this hummer returns so I can get a better look and determine its identity.

The last time a hummingbird visited my feeder was on September 9th and I thought hummer season was over for me.  Perhaps the lesson here is to leave the hummingbird feeders out to help the stragglers.  According to several sources, hummingbirds migrate due to the length of the photoperiod and not due to the availability of food.  Leaving your feeders out late will only help those that are taking their time getting to their wintering grounds.

Kris