BAS hike to Hawkwatch Intl. spot on the Wellsvilles

Bridgerland Audubon Society sponsored its annual trek to the top of Hawkwatch peak in the Wellsville mountains this past Saturday.
Approximately 20 people showed up for the event.
I was happy to see alot of new faces and meet Nathan Darnall, President of GSL Audubon. Very nice guy!

Beautiful weather and scenery the whole way, along the 4 mile trek to 8,600 ft. (my thighs are still aching!).

On the way, along the steep trail, we saw: Nothern Flicker, Hairy Woodpecker, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Fox Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Black-capped and Mt. Chickadee, Dark-eyed Junco, Warbling Vireo and Hermit Thrush.

At the top we were greeted by Mark Fogg and Rob Spaul, this seasons volunteers for Hawkwatch at the top of the Wellsvilles. They have been up there since August 22, and will stay until the end of October, when the snow begins to fly. Anthony Sandoval was also up there helping out. He was a volunteer from last season.
All were very knowledgeable and great assistance to us all as we spotted many cool raptors.
Mark told us they had recorded 2 Broad-winged Hawks on Friday, Sep. 24, which they were very excited about. Mark said that the majority of birds that they had been seeing were coming from their breeding grounds in British Columbia. One of the biggest frustrations initially for these biologists was being able to identify which birds were local yokels and which were migratory. Case in point were the beautiful Golden Eagles we saw soaring below us, which was pointed out by Mark to be local birds.
While the BAS group was there we spotted Sharp-shinned Hawk, Swainsons Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, Golden Eagle, American Kestrel and Common Raven.
It was very exciting to see so many Sharpies and Northern Harriers catching the upward thermal drafts and ride them to the top. We were able to look down on the birds and watch as they soared from below to above us.

Here is a list of what the Hawkwatch team has recorded from August 22, 2004 to September 24, 2004:
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 237
Coopers Hawk - 133
Northern Goshawk - 10
Red-tailed Hawk - 261
Swainsons Hawk - 46
Ferruginous Hawk - 4
Broadwing Hawk - 2 (9-24-04)
American Kestrel - 371
Turkey Vulture - 4
Golden Eagle - 59
Bald Eagle - 5
Peregrine Falcon - 10
Prairie Falcon - 13
Merlin - 4
Northern Harrier - 80
Osprey - 15

Much thanks to Mark Fogg and Rob Spaul who shared their knowledge and expertise about these wonderful birds.
My hat goes off to these heroes, who are VOLUNTEERS, for their dedication and passion towards gathering this essential data on migratory raptors.

Stephen Peterson