I Hate To Say It, But...

I birded Antelope Island Causeway today hoping that the cold front had dropped a final bonanza of shorebirds on the mudflats.  My anticipation was for naught.  The causeway was great if you like gulls and that pungent cologne, L'eau d'Antelope.  However, I sort of hate to report this, but I saw five BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS that looked extraordinarily plain in full winter plumage.  One of the plovers still had ONE black feather along a flank and that was all.  A couple of them appeared to be juveniles with extensive fine spotting on their backs and on folded wings.  The young ones also showed a faint washed-out buffy cast to their finely streaked breasts.  Other than those features they were very, very plain.  The group was feeding on the north side of the causeway just west of the bend between mm 4 and 3.  They were just 50 feet or so off the muddy strip at the base of the rocks that form the causeway--pretty close, really.

The plovers didn't stay for long.  They flew east and I saw flashes of their black armpits.  The white stripe through the flight feathers was apparent on the two plovers I was able to watch.  I tried to relocate with them.  The plovers landed so far out that I might not have been able to ID them as BBs in winter plumage had I not already known their identity. I pulled over again at approximately mile 3.5 where there's a very long, dead tree laying just off the road in the rocks.  Presently, they flew again and I lost track of them.

In addition to the birds I mentioned above, I also saw a grand total of THREE Western Sandpipers, ONE Least Sandpiper, ONE dowitcher sp. sewing-machine foraging until two people walked to the shore and flushed it (Grrrr), ONE Snowy Plover, and six Long-billed Curlews.  A very dark Peregrine Falcon was hanging out on flats on the north side of the causeway around mm 5.  Like the plovers, the Peregrine was flighty.  It flew and landed three times as I crept west and I grew tired of the chase when it landed behind me.  Before I left I noticed that the falcon had cleared the flats of birds for a quarter of a mile in each direction.  Must have been its deodorant.  So except for the plovers, the causeway stunk both literally and figuratively.  OK, maybe the Peregrine didn't stink.

I can't help but end on a silly note.  The Black-bellied Plover's taxonomic name is Pluvialis Squatarola.  Squatarola?!?!?  Surely, someone is toying with us.

Kris