Henry's Fork Ptarmigan

Jim LaRue and myself spent 4 days this past Labor Day weekend up in the top of the Henry's Fork Drainage in the High Uintas Wilderness.
White-tailed Ptarmigan was the target specie. About 34 miles were covered on foot. Elevations were from 8,500' to 11,800'. Temperatures from 20 to 65 degrees. The trip was hampered by an 18-hour snow storm that kept us holed up in our tents.

In places where I have encountered ptarmigan every year since 1997 none could be found or heard. No fresh tracts were seen after burning shoe leather in fresh snow over 9 miles or so of prime ptarmigan habitat. Sheep, sheepherders, cowboys, horses, sheepdogs, upland gamebird hunters and especially coyotes were abundant.

Highlights of the trip were a Great Blue Heron at 10,800' elevation, a vireo, and many (too many to count) Black Rosy-Finches.
Noticeably absent were Blue Grouse, Belted Kingfisher, Brown Creeper, Hermit Thrush, Hairy Woodpecker and sapsuckers.

Birds of the trip were:
Great Blue Heron
Mallard
Ring-necked Duck