Bird Droppings

When an animal leaves a little pile I think it is called "skat." I don't know the name for when a bird leaves a little pile. Is there anything like a book of bird droppings like there is for animal droppings.

Now to the point. I have been finding piles about the size of a quarter which are black on one side (the side which touched the ground) and very white (typical of birds) on the top and maybe 1/2 inch deep. It looks like bird droppings. We had a small owl for two nights that we have not been able to locate since those nights. Is it possible that these are droppings from an owl? If it is a bird it would have to be a very large bird. It is not a cat and not a racoon--I know those. They are not owl pellets with which I am familiar.

Any help? Should it be an owl I would stay up later with my flashlight!

Marvis Collett