Re:

Hi All:

Having followed this discussion on the bird on the golf course all day
now, I finally decided to wade in. Since we know that the bird was seen
on a golf course and he seems to be in the short stuff he could be a
professional. And if he is a pro, it could be one of the following:

Tim Herron
Tom Kite
Jeff Hawkes
Jeremy Robinson

Or most likely it is Robert WRENN.

FORE!!!!

>>> Tim Avery <tanager@timaverybirding.com> 08/05/04 02:39PM >>>
On the note of Canyon Wren, the body shape and color are not the same.
A Canyon
Wren is a deep brown - rufous, and this bird is still very light.  Plus
the
typical posture of a Canyon Wren is tilted forward, not standing
straight up.
Also on the Grass in the picture, we don't know how long the grass is,
this is
a golfcourse, is the bird on a green, is it on the short grass fo the
fairway?
These are all problems involved with photos of birds, as many know from
my
quizzes which can often times be misleading.  On coloration, I can post
some
pictures of Juvenile rock wrens taken this summer in Wyoming, and these
brirds
were more so rufous than any I had seen before.  But again, general
variations
in bird color do occur within a species, and in this case teh color
really
isn't that far off of what most Rock wrens look like.  In resposnse to
barring
on the wings and tail, this bird looks to have the same pattern as any
Rock
Wren I have ever seen, especially form what we see in the picture.
Something
I hadn't noticed before, if we look at the undertail coverts on this
bird,
there is a slight bar, and may be 2 more going along the side, which
would
again point to the Wren Family

Thats all folks.

Tim