Bear River & AI Causeway

Yesterday I relocated the WHIMBREL that was seen earlier this week along the Antelope Island Causeway. It was on the north side of the causeway near the second bridge. While birding the causeway this morning, I ran into Dave Slager from Michigan who had just found it again.

After Antelope Island, I headed up to Bear River where the canal on the northeast side of the auto tour loop had quite a few peeps (~100-150) including Least, Western, Baird's and one juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. I don't know when the typical first arrival dates are for juvenile peeps, but this is definitely the earliest I have seen a juvenile peep in Utah. Also of note were 2 SOLITARY SANDPIPERS along the canal. Both yellowlegs, Long-billed Dowitchers and Marbled Godwits were also present at the refuge. For those of you that love to study peep plumages (down to the last feather), the northeast side of the auto tour loop at Bear River is the place to go because the peeps are very close to the road (~20 feet or less). Also, I was able to get some digiscopes of a few of the shorebirds including the Semipalmated Sandpiper if anyone would like to take a look.

Colby