Grebe photo ops. at Bear River Refuge

Hi Everyone -

There are TONS of baby birds on the refuge now, everything from swallows
and marsh wrens to ibis, avocets, stilts and more.  Along the first segment
of the auto tour route this morning (the northern-most stretch; going
counter-clockwise) there were both western and Clark's grebes with young of
all ages in the canal right next to the road.  Some are still quite small,
gray-fuzzballs, and some are 2/3 the size of their parents.  With a decent
lens and using your vehicle as a blind, the photographic opportunities
would be excellent, I think.  Bridget and I were both commenting that we've
seen more young grebes this year than last year, by far.

Migrant shorebirds are continuing to arrive, with dowitchers, western and
Baird's sandpipers seen this morning during my very quick, cursory tour.

Betsy Beneke
Outdoor Recreation Planner
Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge
58 South  950 West