BRIGHTON GOSHAWKS

Jack Binch and I visited the 'new' Goshawk nest site at Brighton today.  It's location seems to be a very poorly guarded 'secret' as many birders came by to see the birds while we were there.

There are 3 fledglings that have left the nest, but are still being fed there by the adults.

If you go, it is best to have a companion. The fierce adult birds are apparently reluctant to attack 2 or more people, but have no qualms about buzzing a single person, as Jack found out when he strolled up the trail alone.

While we were there we talked with several of the local cabin owners.  We learned to our surprise that this nest has been in existence for several years.  These adults are different than those who successfully raised a family of 3 young last year near the Lake Solitude trail.  That nest is not active this year.

The present nest has been monitored in the past by UDWR, who have banded birds and attached radio transmitters.  It has also been visited by falconers who have tried to access the nest with aluminum ladders, apparently trespassing on private property while doing so.  Regulations governing Utah falconers may be found at: http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/falconry/02falconryproc.htm

Jim McIntyre