Subject: Celebrate Urban Birds!
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:28:01 -0400
From: Urban Bird Studies <urbanbirds@cornell.edu>
To: urbanbirds@cornell.edu

Greetings, GBBC participants-

You were so wonderful in helping us get out the word about this year's
Great Backyard Bird Count that we're hoping you'll pitch in for us on the
Lab's latest bird event, Celebrate Urban Birds! Please mark your calendars
and circulate this announcement wherever you deem appropriate.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Best regards,

Mindy LaBranche
Project Leader, Urban Bird Studies & Project PigeonWatch
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
www.birds.cornell.edu

CELEBRATE URBAN BIRDS! July 9–18, 2004
Connecting kids to their city neighborhoods by watching birds.
www.birds.cornell.edu/urbanbirds

People across the country can Celebrate Urban Birds! by participating in
science, art, and literature activities focused on birds. Urban Bird
Studies engages city dwellers across the continent in bird-watching
activities to help scientists learn how birds live in city neighborhoods.
During the Celebration, citizen scientists across the continent will “meet”
scientists at the Lab through electronic media and participate in Urban
Bird Studies projects and related activities.

What is it?
The Celebration is an opportunity for everyone across the country to
participate in Urban Bird Studies and related projects at the same time.
During July 9–18, you can spend one hour or up to 10 whole days
participating in activities and projects described in the materials you
receive when you sign up. It’s FREE!

What do I have to do? To join in the Celebration you can choose one or more
of the following experiences
• Learn about birds in cities
• Learn about Urban Bird Studies and citizen science
• Conduct Urban Bird Studies projects
• Meet the scientists at the Lab of Ornithology via the Internet
• Projects and activities beyond birds
• Birds in art and literature
• Design your own project
• Report your data
• Sum it all up
Each experience is described in the free Celebrate Urban Birds! booklet
that you receive when you sign up to participate.

What do I get? When you sign up you will receive
• Celebrate Urban Birds! booklet
• Crows Count project materials
• Birds in the City project materials
• Access to the “Meet the Scientists” Internet activities
• Information about other urban projects
• Special Celebration issue of PigeonScope mailed in fall
• And more!

And, it’s all FREE! Sign up at www.birds.cornell.edu/urbanbirds
For more information please call 800-843-BIRD (2473) or 607-254-2455; or
email urbanbirds@cornell.edu.
Funded in part by the National Science Foundation.