Birch Creek Reservoirs/Rich County

Pomera Fronce and I enjoyed wonderful birding in Rich County Friday.  We saw most of the species that Pomera reported earlier in the week.  I was really impressed with the beauty of Bear River Meadows, this being my first visit.  I made another stop on the way home--Birch Creek Reservoirs on UT 39 west of Woodruff between mm 61 and 60.  Why?  Because it's there...because I might see birds...because I couldn't stop myself from birding.

I was very pleased that the Yellow-breasted Chat singing when I arrived popped out of a thick willow, pooched out his bulgy throat feathers, and "churred" and "burred" and "reeeped" at me.  He was only about 15 feet away in dead branches at the top of the shrub.  Other birds seen or heard at this spot--the willow and hawthorne-choked west end of the old reservoir--included Yellow Warblers, Fox Sparrows, Song Sparrows and American Robins.

A Mountain Bluebird and Violet-green Swallows landed on scrub or dead branches high above me in the canyon, and several Rock Wrens sang from the red rock or made short flights to new perches.  Green-tailed Towhees also frolicked and sang in the sage and greasewood, and the Brewer's Sparrows got a buzz on as they sang their odd song.

Ever wonder where the Ring-billed Gulls go in summer?  Well, upper Birch Creek Reservoir, for one.  The Ring-billed was the surprising and only gull species I saw here--about a dozen or so along the shoreline of the new reservoir.  Also along the shore, I saw several Killdeer and several very active, fluttering Spotted Sandpipers ("DoWEE-DoWEE-DoWEE-DoWEE!").  A couple Double-crested Cormorants fished and one stood on the shore, faced the western sun, and dried its wings as it looked like a string of black feathers hanging from a coat hanger.  Mother Mallard led her newly-hatched brood of nine away from the shore as I approached, and Northern Rough-winged and Tree Swallows swooped over the water.  The odd-ball audible record of the afternoon was the Golden Eagle flying over the reservoir repeatedly screaming, "EeeYYYYaw!  EeeYYYYaw!"

Finally, I saw a Northern Flicker perched high up on a rock and I heard a Broad-tailed Hummer pass overhead.

Birch Creek Reservoirs makes a short, on-the-way birding spot, as opposed to a final destination.  The unimproved road to the reservoirs is a mile long, and is suitable for passenger cars.

Kris