Nebo loop

Nicky and I headed over Nebo Loop today.  The most common bird going up the
loop seemed to be the warbling vireo and on the downward side, the chipping
sparrow.  We didn't have any unusual sightings other than a gazillion
western tanagers.  We also saw two large hawks fighting over a snake and it
was pretty cool to see one of them carrying off the dangling snake (we
couldn't tell what kind of hawks they were?too far away).

We also counted (to name a few) dark-eyed junco, black-headed grosbeak,
Bullock's oriole, spotted towhee, Steller's jay, scrub jay, lazuli bunting,
yellow-breasted chat (2), Townsend's solitaire, marsh wren, hermit thrush,
yellow-rumped warbler, yellow warbler, warbling vireo, western wood-pewee,
mountain bluebird, ruby-crowned kinglet, red-breasted nuthatch, American
dipper, Eastern kingbird, some unknown flycatchers, western kingbird,
killdeer, and many more species. We saw Caspian tern, eastern kingbird,
western kingbird, pheasant and great-blue heron at the Provo dike and lots
of pelican, quail and a Clark's grebe at the Provo marina.

The fledglings are out and about and the Nebo forest is alive with song.
What a wonderful place to take a birding trip.

Carol D.