Superlative Birding at Powder Mountain

Powder Mountain Ski Area in Weber County provided superlative mountain birding today.  I marveled at how beneficial last week's rain/snow was for the higher elevations.  For the first time in a long time, the ground was moist and cool instead of dry and dusty.  The wildflowers are OUT and it's a great time to go wildflowering, too.

Since the day provided superlative birding, I'll describe the birding with superlatives:

Best bird:  A Red Crossbill that alerted me to its presence with a "Kip-kip!"  "Kip-kip-kip!"  The rosy/red-flecked male teed up on a tall conifer and I got a quick look before he departed for other opportunities.  I heard one other individual and another small flock, but never saw either.

Most devoted dad:  A Mountain Bluebird that exited a nest cavity carrying a fecal sac.  The electric-blue bird landed on a dead aspen limb, set the sac on the limb, and quickly swiped his beak as if he was thinking, "The things I do for my kids!"  I later saw him carrying an exceptionally fat and pendulous caterpillar back into the cavity.

Most frequently heard-but-not-seen species:  Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  That little bugger.  Do I have to wait until they descend from the tallest conifers in the fall to see one again?!?!?

Most unexpected species:  Four American White Pelicans circling over the main lodge's parking lot.  Maybe they were transiting from Hyrum Reservoir to Pineview?

Most disappointing sighting:  Two Clark's Nutcrackers at a long distance, gliding down a draw in great swoops.  Later, I heard one much closer, but never saw it.

Most inexplicable results:  Few woodpeckers.  I saw several Northern Flickers, heard a Downy, and briefly saw a large black-and-white woodpecker.  I didn't see any sapsuckers, unless the mystery woodpecker was a sapsucker.

Funniest sighting:  The tent caterpillars frenetically break dancing in their silvery tents in the Chokecherry bushes.

Most interesting sighting:  A Blue Grouse that crossed my path slowly, deliberately, but with a wide and wary eye looking at me.  I was half-turned and didn't see him until he was part way across the trail.  He was only 20-25 feet away.  He never changed his pace or tail-slightly-fanned-and-cocked posture.  Interestingly, his eyebrow was red--not yellow.  I'm not implying the grouse was anything other than a Blue; it's just that his eyebrow was the wrong color.

Most disquieting sighting:  The tick crawling up my pant leg.  That's the fifth one I've seen heading north on clothing this year.  Last year I didn't see even one.

Best view:  Northwest sweeping down into Cache Valley as far as the pyramid-shaped Little Mountain...or was it southeast to the snow-capped Uintas...or was it southwest through North Ogden Divide to see Fremont Island and Great Salt Lake surrounding the island...or was it south to Ogden Valley and blue-blue-blue Pineview Reservoir and Trapper's Loop snaking through emerald meadows away from the valley...or was it...

Other birds:  Golden Eagle, American Kestrel, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Hammond's Flycatcher, Dusky Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, Steller's Jay, Common Raven, Tree Swallow, Violet-green Swallow, Mountain Chickadee, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Rock Wren, House Wren, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, MacGillivray's Warbler, Western Tanager, Green-tailed Towhee, Chipping Sparrow, Brewer's Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Lazuli Bunting, Western Meadowlark, Cassin's Finch, and Pine Siskin.

For directions and information about Powder Mountain Ski Area, launch the link below, select "P" from the alphabetical index, and then select Powder Mountain.

http://www.utahbirds.org/counties/SiteIndex.htm

Finally, add me to the growing list of birders who have seen ducks that are classified as rare summer residents.  I saw three female Common Mergansers near the Pineview dam today.  What could all these sightings portend?  An early winter ;^D?  Or are they just lazy ducks?

Kris