RE: Cassin's Kingbirds

Did you get a good look at the outer tail feathers?

I camped on Antelope Island at Bridger Bay during the GSL Bird Festival and noticed a couple Kingbirds with darker looking heads. I got excited, thinking they may be Cassins, but when they flew they showed the thin, white outer tail feathers, like a Western should have.

Stephen Peterson

From: Nicky Davis <nicky-davis@earthlink.net>
To: birdtalk@utahbirds.org
Subject: [BirdTalk] Cassin's Kingbirds
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:09:39 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Check out the Kingbirds closely when you go to Antelope Island because I believe I saw two Cassin's just West of the entrance on some tall weed stalks on the South side of the road.  The head and breast were much darker than the Western Kingbirds considering tree next door as their nest site . They tried to stay long enough for a photo session, but the strong winds were too much and they went to the North side where the weeds are much thicker. The Lewis' Woodpecker pair were at Garr Ranch and a couple of Willets were calling to each other in the Sage along the road to Garr Ranch (must have a nest around there).
If anyone can verify or nullify the Cassin's Kingbirds, please let me know.
Regards,
Nicky Davis