The Cheesecake Heads

Has a bird ever reminded you of something obscure and unrelated to the bird...like food?  Well, the purpose of this post is to report that the cheesecake heads have arrived in Ogden Valley in Weber County.  Vivian Schneggenburger, Hal and Cathy Robins and I saw eight male cheesecake-headed Bobolinks in Ogden Valley yesterday afternoon between 3 and 4 pm.  We were at the tail end of a Great Salt Lake Bird Festival field trip and we had lagged behind the other participants on the way home.  A little detour into the Bobolink field and a lot of long-distance study of fenceposts finally confirmed the presence of the cheesecake heads.  There is no truth to the rumor that we were hungry while searching for the Bobolinks yesterday.

The males perched on fenceposts, vigorously pursued each other low over the fields, "larked" in fluttering displays narrated by their fast, complex "plinky-deedle-inky-plinky-bobolinky" song, and utterly disappeared into the low grass.  I noticed an occasional flight behavior that served as a warning that they were about to end their flight and disappear.  The Bobolinks flew in a fairly straight path with flashing wingbeats, and then begin to coast.  When they positioned their wings in a deep dihedral like Rock Pigeons do when floating to a perch, the Bobolinks were about to land in low grass.  One male finally graced a fencepost within 50 feet and piroutted in super-slow motion so we could enjoy views from all sides.  Later, the Bobolink flew down into the grass and periodically popped up his cheesecake head so we could see that he was still there.  We didn't see any females, but we really didn't look for them, either.  They might not have arrived yet from their wintering grounds in South America.

We also saw a couple other species you'd expect to find in this habitat--a cooperative Wilson's Snipe on a fencepost, Savannah Sparrows singing from barbed wire and offering us GREAT views while foraging along the edge of a little pond, Sandhill Cranes, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, Canada Geese, and a Swainson's Hawk.  Two Spotted Sandpipers along the edge of a pothole pond were a nice surprise.

To reach the Bobolinks' field, take UT 39 east toward Huntsville and around Pineview Reservoir.  UT 39 is accessible either from I-15 exit 347 or from I-84 through Weber Canyon, exit 92 (Mountain Green), UT 167 and over Trapper's Loop.  East of Huntsville, UT 39 takes a 90-degree east turn toward Monte Cristo, but don't do that!  Continue north on 7800E. for a half mile and DON'T bear left when the main road does.  Turn right (east) on the next dirt road into the field.  The road is unmarked and is not restricted by either 'No Trespassing' or 'Private Property' signs.  It's intended for farm-vehicle access to the fields and is not really suitable for passenger cars.  Drivers will find sporting opportunities to execute a three-point turn far down the road in the field, but there's good news--I've done it several times and haven't yet run my truck off into the ditch.

Kris