Birding Cutler Reservoir

I took the day off yesterday and did a whole day of birding around the Cutler Reservoir area.
I was able to observe the following species:
Western Kingbirds flying high and then tumbling down, Barn Swallow, Bank Swallow, Western Meadowlark, Northern Harrier, a pair of Snowy Egrets flying along the corridor, Black Billed Magpie, Ring Necked Pheasant, American White Pelican, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (not a recurring species year after year in Cache Valley), Lazuli Bunting (male and female), Bullocks Oriole, Blackheaded Grosbeak (male and female), Green-tailed Towhee, Vesper Sparrow. I heard a Grasshopper Sparrow but did not see them. I hiked up the side of the mountain along the reservoir and saw a Rock Wren calling. I came back down to the car and started to play my CD to verify the call with myself and a Rock Wren suddenly popped up on top of a rock no more than 20 feet away!

Looking forward to the Great Salt Lake Bird Festival. I am hoping to camp on Antelope Island throughout the weekend. Anyone else going to be in the area? Would be nice to meet some of you expert birders!!

Stephen Peterson

_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________