washington county birding

At the directions given below, could someone tell me if the road to the river is through a rusted gate? When Carol and I went down there, we were hesitant to go through that gate.  We're going again and would like to go down that road if it's not private.

CONFLUENCE OF Virgin River/LaVerkin Creek  Directions:  From St. George:  Go north on I-15 to SR-9.  Follow SR-9 through Hurricane and LaVerkin. After the light in LaVerkin proceed straight down the hill as if going towards Toquerville. Just before the LaVerkin Creek bridge at the bottom of the hill, turn left on an unmarked, dirt road.  This road is a county road and open to the public. Drive about 300 yards, park in some shade and slowly walk south