WHEN IS A LEK NOT A LEK?

When is a lek not a lek?

A couple of years ago, I photographed a Greater Sage-grouse cock strutting on the snow during the first days of the annual mating and courtship ritual at the Morgan County lek.  The weather was frigid and he was clearly looking for a warm-blooded female. :)

The picture came out pretty well and I submitted a large print on watercolor paper to the 2003 BYU NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION at the Bean Museum.  I called it SPRINGTIME ON THE LEK.

I was then away for over a month.  Finally I went down to BYU to see how my entries had fared.  Lo and behold this picture had won a prize in the Wildlife Division!  Yippee!  But then I noticed its title had been changed to SPRINGTIME ON THE LAKE!  A thoughtful person on the BYU staff who typed up the picture labels apparently thought I wasn't very bright (many will agree) and needed my spelling corrected.

Fortunately, the jurors never saw the label when they did their pre-show judging.  Since then it has become one of my most popular pictures. :)

Jim