Band-tailed Pigeons

The Band-tailed Pigeons are back, but am not seeing them in great numbers,
nor on a regular timetable. The 1st one appeared March 18th, but I've been
away so much I didn't report it. Now we're home for awhile, so if any of you
would like to try to see them, please just give a call before you come and
I'll give you directions.

The B-T's come to the trees and feeders in the backyard, (though later in
the summer, some usually come to magnum feeder in front). Right now they are
very skiddish; fly away at any perceived movement at our windows. So far
they don't stay long at one time either, but return several times throughout
the afternoon. Chances of seeing them are reasonable anytime from 11:30am
on, but they are there more frequently and in larger numbers (up to 5) in
mid-afternoon--3:00 or 3:30ish.

But, chances will be far better if you wait until later in the summer when a
fairly reliable routine develops. They bring their young in starting in late
July/early August, and last year didn't all migrate until after the 1st
snowfall in early November.

Deedee O'Brien
Holladay
801-272-8060