Who's Yer Daddy?

I saw a pair of ducks in Corinne in Box Elder County today that were 3/4 Mallard.  The female was all Mallard and the male was part Mallard and part indeterminate parentage.  I named him the Who'syerdaddy Duck.  I finally gave up trying to figure out the duck's mystery parent and I listlessly flipped through big Sibley.  YOWSA!  There it was!  "My" male hybrid is pictured at the bottom of page 83, an American Black Duck x Mallard.  The duck I saw and the one pictured are virtually identical.  The only variation in the real thing was some additional green spotting on the face just behind the bill.  If any of you students of waterfowl have ideas on more likely parent combinations that would produce a duck of this stripe, by all means, suggest!

The hybrid may seem an unlikely duck to find here.  But perhaps this one is enroute to the western-most range of the American Black Duck in Alberta or Saskatchewan, and due north of Utah.  Finally, an idle musing--for the birder who wants to count this bird on his or her Utah list, if you see it, can you count half an American Black Duck?

I saw the pair on 6800W, just 100 feet south of the intersection of 6800W and UT 83.  The ducks were in a stream or irrigation channel on the east side of the road.  I was headed out to pick up where Lu Giddings left off yesterday to witness the spectacle of thousands of Snow Geese in farm fields.  But alas, it was not meant to be.  The geese have flown the proverbial coop.  I drove a grid pattern from the Chesapeake Gun Club north to the road to the Box Elder Landfill, and did not find them.

Much later in the afternoon, around 5:30, I saw a Short-eared Owl at an extreme distance hunting at Public Shooting Grounds WMA.  I had pulled off UT 83 at mm 11 to scope the dabblers in a large, open expanse of water on the south side of the highway.  The owl was hunting over the marshy area past the southern shore.  I watched it for about 10 minutes with the scope and was able to pick up the pale, buffy patches at the base of the primaries on the upper side of the owl's wings.  This owl is often termed 'harrier-like' in its flight pattern, but a few differences emerged that I found significant.  The owl barely stopped flapping during my 10-minute watch.  A harrier sails a lot.  Even at the significant distance, the owl's wings were clearly broader than a harrier's and the blunt head was apparent.   Also, the owl never held its wings in the characteristic harrier dihedral.  When it dropped to the ground a few times, its posture distinctly reminded me of a Barn Owl performing the same maneuver--twisting, skittering, acrobatic.

I've seen Short-eared Owls at that location before.  Keep your eyes out for them anywhere along UT 83.  Other birders have gotten much better looks along that road and last summer, I found several carcasses along the shoulder.

Kris