Great Gray Owl In Idaho

Greetings!

Julie and I so enjoyed seeing the Northern Hawk Owl last month, we decided to try for yet another "lifer" owl.  We headed out on Monday hoping to see the Great Gray Owl that had been reported on the Idaho bird line in the Tetonia/Driggs area.  The drive was comparable to the one to Sun Valley (about five hours).  We did not find the owl in the reported area, but since they are a year round resident there, we went out on a search of our own.  We were rewarded with a beautiful sighting just south of Tetonia.  The owl was perched on a branch right out in the open and close enough to get absolutely stunning views through the scope.  We admired her for thirty minutes and when we left, she was still sitting on her perch.  Our search also turned up a pair of nesting Great Horned Owls.

Our attempt to add another owl to our life lists failed.  We had the beat on a Boreal Owl near the Grand Targhee Ski Resort, but no luck.  Guess that gives us an excuse to go back!

Pomera