Spring is Springing at Ogden Bay WMA

I birded Ogden Bay WMA Sunday.  The dirt roads through the marsh are still snow-covered and I could have used snowshoes occasionally.  Most of the interior marshes are still iced over.  But despite the marsh's wintry appearance, I saw a few welcome signs of spring.  Here are the highlights of the day:

Bald Eagles remain at the bay in good numbers.  Fifty to sixty rested in the dead trees lining the south fork of the Weber River and along channels.  The eagles were active all afternoon and I especially appreciated witnessing a dogfight between an adult and a 3rd year bird against the backdrop of the snowy Promontory Mountains.  In addition, the eagles lined a north-south channel and oversaw a raft of more than a dozen male and female Common Mergansers.  One eagle used a log floating low in the water to take a 15-minute bath.  At times, this big bird disappeared under the surface except for his or her head, back, and upper portions of wings.  And what a flapping and splashing ensued!  That eagle took great care in performing his or her toilet.

The mergansers enjoyed the competitive courtship rites of spring, and I'm sure I witnessed the avian equivalent of spin-the-bottle.  There was a-chasin' and a-snappin' and a-flappin' and a-flutterin', and it all appeared to be an exhibition of spring passion.  Other waterfowl and water birds used the canal as well--Green-winged Teal, American Coots, and Pied-billed Grebes back in breeding plumage showing a strong, black stripe through each bill.

A significant impression of the mostly silent bay was the sound of the air passing over, under, and through the wings of several species of birds that chose to fly low enough or close enough to me so I could have a good listen.  The wing beats of American White Pelicans streaming up from the south sounded as though the air was quickly squeezing and squeaking through those immaculate, fresh, white and black feathers.  Of course the wing-whistlers--Common Goldeneyes--were present, and several whistled away from me when I suddenly came upon a small patch of open water.  A flock of seven or eight Northern Pintails coursed overhead so low and fast I believe I actually (pardon the pun, but I can't help myself) ducked.  In the instant of hearing the startling sound and looking up, I didn't recognize it as a low flock of ducks and my survival instinct took over.  When recognition hit, I saw the birds careening in unison over my head and curving away from the intended target of nearby open water; likely because of my presence.

I had another chance to watch a dining Double-crested Cormorant.  This effishient (;^D) fisher downed five 5-6 inch Black Bullheads in the space of less than 5 minutes.  I wondered how many the bird caught before I came upon the scene.  The bullheads put up quite a tail-flapping, body-curling struggle, but it was all for naught.  The cormorant tossed each fish until the green-brown backed and pale-bellied fish were positioned head first, and then gulp, gulp, gulp; down the gul, gul, gullet.  I watched each fish's curling, black licorice-strand barbels disappear.  Each tail also flapped until it was out of sight.  The cormorant's throat looked positively elastic as it expanded and contracted to accomodate each fish.  I fancied the bird would have some difficulty taking off after the fish fest and in fact, it paddled its feet over the surface of the water while flapping much longer than an earlier, departing cormorant had paddled.  I bet the fisher ejected a heck of a pellet, come Monday morning.

Other "good" sightings included a Northern Shrike along the entrance road.  The bird dropped like a stone out of the low bush it perched on and came up with a BIG, BLACK, bug in its beak.  I later heard and saw the same shrike singing a chattering, abrupt, warble-like song.  I also saw a young Cooper's Hawk--always a good bird in my world--drop off a telephone pole near the intersection of 5500S and 7100W in Hooper.  I followed the hawk to a semi-hidden perch in a big tree and watched as it appraised a large flock of starlings stage in the tops of trees surrounding a farm house.  Later, the hawk took a new perch in an overgrown vine in an overgrown yard.  Although it perched with its back to me, the hawk's tail was widely splayed on the vine and I got a great view of its tail, nape, supercilium, and iris.  I decided to leave when the lady of the house arrived home because I looked like too much of a snoop.

And finally, one happy, welcome sign of spring--a fluttering, jubilant, acrobatic flight of Tree Swallows; eight of them over the marshes; letting me know that the season has turned and the northward push has begun.

Here are the other birds I saw, including a few northwest of 12th Street (I-15 exit 347) and in the area of Little Mountain:

Canada Goose
Tundra Swan
Bufflehead
Mallard
Great Blue Heron
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
American Kestrel
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Golden Eagle
Northern Flicker
Common Raven
American Magpie
Red-winged Blackbird
Horned Lark
American Robin
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow

To reach Ogden Bay's south entrance, take exit 341 from I-15 and head west on 5600 S. through Roy.  This road becomes 5500 S. and passes through Hooper.  5500S ends at a stop sign at a "T" in the road; turn north on 7500W and drive until you enter Ogden Bay WMA.

Kris