Mona thru Goshen birding

On 1-21-04 my husband and I drove down the pole-line road by the Young
Family Farm and back through Goshen Canyon looking for the hawks. He
likes the hawks best.

We saw several Red-tailed, Rough-legged and Ferruginous Hawks, many
Kestrel, 3 Northern Harriers, about 50 American Goldfinch on a wire
right next to a Rough-legged hawk on the pole.  We noticed on the road
going North from Elberta that the fog was not bad and the snow cover
light.  The hawks did not seem desperate and were actively hunting the
fields or sitting on poles digesting their catch. A juvenile Ferruginous
was sitting on a sign post that showed the message "Posted, No Hunting".
He looked very healthy and well-fed.

In Goshen Canyon we saw a Spotted Towhee and a (wow)laughing Pinyon Jay.
Did not see the Golden Eagles that were in the canyon last visit.

Nicky Davis