Hawk Report--thanks for your help and advice!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! for all your great advice and suggestions about the various hawks.
I received so much helpful and useful information. You all are great!

Several people mentioned taking the frontage road to Mona, which a friend and I did Sunday afternoon, from about 3:00 p.m. until dusk
So armed with binoculars and bird books ("Birds" by Ken Kaufman and the Golden Field Guide to Western Birds) we headed out.
First stop was Camelot in Springville, where we watched a Spotted Towhee scratching and scrabbling in the snow and dirt for food. His bright colors were beautiful against the drab landscape. It was exciting to find and identify the bird using the bird books!!! We watched it for nearly 10 minutes.
I noticed that there's a For Sale sign at Camelot and the information that the family put up at the entrance gate is gone. The gate was open and it looked like people have been inside. We didn't go in because we wanted to see the Hawks!
We took the exit after the second Santaquin exit, just as you begin to head downhill into the Mona/Nephi valley. This is about 10 miles north of Mona. (In my excitement I did not take precise notes.) We saw LOTS of hawks. Photographed a couple of them and will be better able to ID them when we get the prints. The best thing would be to have a digital camera with a long lens to photograph the birds and study them later. The photos and web-links you'all have sent are great!

We saw one that we could positively ID as a RedTailed Hawk. I am amazed at the variations that exist among a single species. We saw 13 hawks in trees near the Young Living Farm and what looked like Rodeo Grounds about 3 miles N of Mona. Lighting wasn't too good, it was hazy, so we could mostly see the silhouettes of the birds and not their colors. We watched them sit and occasionally one would fly off and then return to another branch. I had always thought that hawks were more solitary birds, yet thirteen seemed like a "flock."

On the south end of the Young Living Farm we saw the forms of two more hawks. Drove a little closer and we positively ID'd the farther away one as a Bald Eagle! It was beautiful and a highlight of the day.

Well actually there was a second highlight. We watched what appeared to be a falcon/accipiter (it was slenderer than the Buteo family and the wings were slenderer) eat a gopher/ground squirrel (it was bigger than a mouse). The bird flew out of some weeds, carrying something. It landed on the snow and began to "skin" its catch. Bit by bit it tore off the fur and tossed it over its shoulder. It spent about 3-4 minutes doing this. The pieces landed about 1-2 feet behind the bird. Then it began peeling off strips of flesh and swallowing them. Some of the pieces were quite large, in comparison to the bird--2-3 times the length of its beak. It spent another 2-3 minutes eating and then gracefully lifted into the sky and soared away.

As the dusk deepened, the birds went to roost and we went home to our children.
It was a wonderful day!
Linda