Christmas Gifts

I must have been on Santa's 'nice' list this year.  My many Christmas gifts began arriving on Christmas Eve with a 5-o'clock Merlin looking down from my favorite Ogden power pole.  A nice present--it was exactly what I wanted!  Wednesday's sighting was my first of the winter at that spot.  Last year, I saw a Merlin many times in late afternoon on the same tall, rusty pole.  These prominent poles run north-south along the bench and are two to three times higher than the usual wooden ones.  The underlying suburban neighborhood is by no means the open country a Merlin might prefer, but nothing nearby matches the height of the pole.  The great view must serve the falcon's habit of hunting from an open perch.

After I watched the Merlin for a while, it took off and half-heartedly pursued a flock of starlings coursing just over the treetops.   Then it gave up the chase and circled north.  I lost the bird as trees obscured my view, so I became the chaser.  I believe I have perfected the art of merrily chasing birds to new perches in my subdivision.  The attempt on Christmas Eve was no exception and besides, I had time.  My shopping was done, the gifts were wrapped, the turkey was defrosting, and dusk would soon truncate my birding.  I pursued the falcon, guilt-free.  Left turn, right turn, circle 'round a cul-de-sac.  I stopped to ID the first possibility.  It was a Northern Flicker in the top of a tall aspen.  Then I looked north to the next rusty power pole and I could see a little gray topper... the Merlin!  Strategic repositioning put me in good scope range and I enjoyed the gift of good views of a male Falco columbarius subspecies richardsonii for about 15 minutes.

This bird was actively observing--I think it's safe to say he was hunting--all the while I watched him.  He perched in a fairly upright posture and surveiled the neighborhood below.  He bobbed up and down; he turned left and right profiles; he swiveled 180 degrees.  It's as if he were trying to show me every possible view of his pale, blocky head.  His faint mustaches and supercilium were apparent with the help of the scope.  Even across the distance, his bill looked very small...too small for a raptor.  His breast was faintly streaked dark orange and contrasted with his slate-gray shoulders.  I finally looked away to rest my eye and then returned to find a vacant pole-top.  The gift was gone, but it wasn't the last one.

More gifts arrived at my feeder on Christmas morning.  My parents called with holiday greetings and I chatted with them while idly watching one of my feeders.  When I noticed a couple of the goldfinches had bright, lemon-yellow breasts, I started paying more attention to the birds and less to the conversation.  My mom and dad forgave my inattention when I described the six surprising and welcome Lesser Goldfinches.  I haven't seen this species at my feeder since June...of course!  It was another Christmas gift.  One of the males was particularly intriguing.  The black of his cap extended down his back and through his tail.  He was almost as dark as the Lesser Goldfinches I've seen in Texas.  The remainder of the males wore the expected olive drab backs.  The strong white smudge at the base of their primaries was quite obvious in both males and females.

A couple American Goldfinches mixed with the Lessers.  Both species had a chance to eat despite the presence of the more aggressive rosy and brown House Finches.  My way of maintaining equal opportunity feeding stations was working.  I use the thistle seed feeder that caters to birds that can perch upside-down when they feed.  Thus, both goldfinch species fed without competition from their pugnacious rightside-up cousins at the hopper feeder.  And I benefit, too--I get the gift of the goldfinches, pretty presents feathered in yellow, white, black and olive.

I noticed the Lesser Goldfinches were much more active at the feeder than were the Americans.  The Americans hung upside-down for long periods and consumed many seeds or quarreled before flitting to a twig for a break.  Not so for the Lessers.  They moved constantly.  They barely had time to take a seed or two before they flitted to a branch.  Later, they gathered in the tree higher than I could see beyond the eave.  I could still hear their inquiring, "tee-yeeEE?" through the window as they staged for departure above a silent Western Scrub Jay.

Yet another surprising Christmas gift diverted my attention.  All of a sudden, a fast-moving kinglet appeared.  I've never seen this bird in my yard before yesterday.  It made a quick foray to the backside of the feeder and I didn't see it again until it moved to a bare spot at the base of an aspen.  Next, it flitted to a neighbor's juniper.  This little guy was moving so fast that I can't definitively say which species it was.  My gut tells me it was a Ruby-crowned because I had a fleeting impression of plain plumage.  My parents once again overlooked my excited interruptions to the conversation.  My mom commented that a Ruby-crowned Kinglet would be rare for her at this time of year (funny how different our impression of the word 'rare' can be--she has a Carolina Wren regularly visiting her feeder in New England).  I hope my proffer of suet cakes is an irresistible invitation for the kinglet to return, and that I'll see it again.  But no matter what, the new Christmas visitor was a nice gift.

My attention returned to talking and listening until a rapid series of events jumbled into the same 3 seconds.  First, I saw flocks of small songbirds billow out of the tops of surrounding aspens.  Second, I saw a zipping, dark, deadly silhouette pushing them like bow waves through the air.  Then I screeched, "There goes the Sharp-shinned Hawk!" to my parents as if I had to make myself heard across 2600 miles without benefit of the telephone.  My parents may now be deaf, but I think they'll still claim me as their progeny.  After I hung up the phone, I moved to scan the backyards in the direction taken by the fleeing birds and their pursuer.  The Sharpie perched on the peak of a neighbor's house and focused back toward my feeder.  The chase had not been successful.  I watched for 5 minutes or so, until other neighbors saw to the duties of snowblowing and inspired the hawk to leave for a more private ambush lookout.  The hawk was yet another nice Christmas gift.

In fact, they were all nice Christmas gifts.  They were pretty presents wrapped in hues of yellow, gray, rose, brown, black, white, rust, blue and olive.  Most of them were uncommon--I don't receive these gifts every day--and consequently, they were of great value.  And the best part is that all these gifts were free.  Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Kris