Falcon Feet and Web-Footed Foolery

I birded some of the wide open spaces of Box Elder County today.  My list of species doesn't include any rare or uncommon birds, but I was nonetheless entertained by all 30 or so species I saw.  Here are a few memorable sightings:

I saw two Peregrine Falcons at Willard Bay in the large trees favored by Bald Eagles south of the Pelican Beach Group Use area.  One Peregrine pursued the second.  The pursued falcon repeatedly found new perches, but his or her presence was still not acceptable to the aggressor.  Two staid and stately Bald Eagles also witnessed the confrontation. Eventually, the pursued Peregrine ditched its attempt to remain at that prime vantage point over the bay and departed in a wide, northerly arc over the interstate.  It was almost lured away from its vector when three small birds crossed its path below.  But the enticement was not enough for more than a momentary hesitation of sharp wings slicing the air and the Peregrine was on its way again.

On the road to Promontory near Thiokol Ranch, I passed a Prairie Falcon that became discomfited by my presence when I backed up to its power pole for a better look.  He or she flashed away to a more comfortable distance and landed on a ridge of black volcanic rock poking through a golden grassy embankment.  Have you ever noticed how big a Prairie Falcon's feet are?  I've noticed that the raptors that kill their prey on the wing by plowing into them--most of our falcons and the Accipiters--have big feet.  The Prairie Falcon I watched today sported bright yellow-orange whoppers seemingly out of proportion with its trim body.

This falcon must have a claim on that particular geography because it was still there when I drove past an hour or so later.  I was scanning the volcanic rock again for the perched falcon when the bird flew right through my binoculars view.  That was easy.  The prey pickings in that area are probably good--I saw many, many Chukars that are probably just the right size for that falcon.  I saw many Ring-necked Pheasants there, too.

The pond at Thiokol Ranch was still open and hosted a nice little raft of pointy-headed Ring-necked Ducks, beaks fashionably festooned in white and white "spur" gleaming out at me.  A couple Bald Eagles surveyed the ducks and Canada Geese from high Cottonwood Tree perches.  The remainder of Promontory Road down to the private Cooperative Management Wildlife Unit was not particularly productive--kestrels, Red-tailed Hawks, and mule deer.

I stopped at Salt Creek WMA on the way back to Corinne and studied the swans in the vain hopes of finding a Trumpeter.  My wish went unrealized; however, studying the Tundras was entertaining enough.  Ever think a Tundra Swan can look anything but elegant and stylish?  Think again.  A Tundra Swan landing is a peculiar marriage of Concorde-like aerodynamic panache and awkward web-footed foolery.   I watched one particular swan take off from a far-away spot of open water and land close to my vantage point in front of the western-most photographer's blind.  The swan made its final descent with neck outstretched at a proud, upward angle, wings frozen and gliding in a beautiful white curve, and flapping black feet splayed out on either side.  The whole picture became elegant again as those black feet touched the water's surface and the swan waterskied to a stop.  After I watched this swan and others land, I watched them all feed-graze-dabble-whatever it's called when Tundras dine-in the shallow waters of Salt Creek.  Another memorable moment occured when the pure white swans' heads emerged from the shallows covered in mud.  Inelegant, indeed!

Kris

"Birds closer to home which you might think very familiar, do, in fact; the most extraordinary things."
- Sir David Attenborough