The Waterfowl are "In" at Pineview

Pineview Reservoir in Weber County is hosting great rafts of waterfowl and many Common Loons.  I birded there this morning from 8:30 to 12:30.  I spent most of my time along the Narrows area sandwiched between UT 39 and 158 and just east of the dam.  I  settled down for an hour or so to study a large mixed raft where the Narrows opens up to the reservoir.  This turnout overlooks the water between mile markers 15 and 16 on UT 39.  The turnouts from the dam east to this spot are good for scoping because the birder is high over the water on the southern edge of the Narrows and the morning sun is mostly to your back.

I saw Common and Red-breasted Mergansers, Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks, a Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Gadwall, Lesser Scaup, a Common Goldeneye, Redheads and American Wigeon.  American Coot and Eared Grebes slept and bobbed with the ducks like family.  Five or six Western Grebes circled around the outside of the raft and then cut through like trespassers in a back yard.  I also saw one lone white goose I assumed was a Snow and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't agonize a little more over the ID.  It was oddly marked with red on its mantle and that feature absorbed my attention.  I couldn't tell if this was an injury or some type of artificial marking, but I found it strange that the goose was not with others of its own kind.  The goose seemed to fluster the raft, which was a blessing for me.  When it approached the raft the resting ducks pulled their heads out of the tucked position and swam, making them easier to identify.

Both Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls coursed over the water, zipped back and forth, and dove vertically and erratically out of the air to pluck bits off the surface.  The Bonaparte's white leading edge paired with the black trailing edge wing pattern and sharp wing shape is a refreshing antidote to the routine of looking at Ring-billed Gulls all the time.

I was surprised to see a lone female Wood Duck swimming in the Narrows area.  She stayed so close to the brown rocks along the edge that I frequently lost her.  When she climbed out of the water onto a rock she blended invisibly and that was that.  I also saw a mysterious, small brown duck swimming alone near the spillway.  My best guess at the ID is either a juvenile Ring-necked Duck or juvenile Lesser Scaup.  It was all brown, had no facial marks and appeared to have a rounded head from the high angle at which I scoped it.  It had a white eye-ring and a strong gray bill with a wide terminal black mark.  The black bill mark was so wide I can't even use the term, 'nail'.  I've dubbed this bird Mysterious smallbrownduckus because I couldn't figure out its real name.

Common Loons are all over the place.  They haven't completely gained back their basic plumage, so the many loons I watched showed a wide variety of blacks, whites and dusty grays.  The heads of many of them had a dark chocolate brown cast and some are still sporting lots of white spots on their backs.  I watched one loon preen.  It flipped over its entirely white belly and flopped its gun metal-gray foot in the air.  It also stretched its head high and then pointed its beak down at a sharp angle, scissoring its breast.  It used that lethal-if-you're-a-fish-bill to fluff up the gray and still-spotted white feathers on its back.  One loon dove so frequently I could barely get the scope on it before it was gone.  I saw mere tail feathers followed by rings on the water many times before I chuckled and acquiesced to this loon's greater powers of concealment.

I saw and heard other non-swimming species, including Belted Kingfisher, American Pipit, American Goldfinch, House Finch, Common Raven, American Magpie, Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, American Kestrel, Black-capped Chickadee, Dark-eyed Junco and my favorite of the day, a female Downy Woodpecker at the North Arm Natural Area working vocally and industriously on the many Mullein spikes swimming amid a sea of brown Teasel.  No Bald Eagles at the reservoir yet, but I'm sure it won't be long!

You can reach Pineview Reservoir in two ways.  Exit I-15 at 347 and turn east onto UT 39.  Follow the road through Ogden Canyon and you'll reach Pineview Dam at the top.  Either remain on UT 39 or turn left over the dam and pick up UT 158.  You'll find many turnouts with good views of the water along the Narrows with either choice of routes.  You can also reach Pineview by exiting I-15 at 326 near Lagoon in Farmington.  The sign says US 89 and South Ogden.  Follow US 89 north to I-84, take I-84 east to exit 92 (Mountain Green) and UT 167, and follow 167 as it becomes Trapper's Loop and runs east of Snow Basin Ski Resort.  UT 167 ends at an intersection with UT 39; turn left toward the Narrows.

Kris