common birds

Hi,

I had to get out of the dreary Salt Lake Valley for a couple of hours. I decided to go to the Provo area with the hope that it would be a little clearer.

I wonder if our zest for the rare or unusual keeps us from admiring the beauty of the more common birds.

I first stopped by Camelot Woods. You cannot go in anymore, but the birds are still around. I stopped south of the entrance and saw Spotted Towees, Lincoln Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Next I went to River Lane. Finally got to see a Eurasian Collared-dove. It was right by the old barn that looks like it will fall over anytime. Right where everyone else has seen them. The lane didn't have much there. A couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers and some Black-capped Chickadees.

Last I went to the airport dike. On the east side I saw two Wilson's Snipes, American Kestrel, Belted Kingfisher, a Chukar, Pied-billed Grebe, American White Pelicans, a flock of Crows, two Snowy Egrets, Loggerhead Shrike, Red-tailed Hawk, American Goldfinches, Northern Harrier, and a large group of Mountain Bluebirds. They were scattered along almost the entire fence line on the west side. What a beautiful bird.
These were all seen in a couple of hours while driving.

Jack

I see a few people sign off with a salutation. Here is my favorite:

You are what you eat said some wise man,
My Lord, I must be a garbage can.

Victor Bono