Birding Sin City

On a recent trip visiting family in Las Vegas, I spent some time at the City of Henderson Bird Viewing Preserves. I haven't seen any postings about this area on BirdTalk so for those who may not know about it (especially some of us Northern Utahns) here is what you can expect. The site is a series of 9 ponds that were once used for water treatment and reside next to the current water treatment facility. Unlike a similar site we have west of Salt Lake, this one doesn't seem to have the strong sewage odor one would have to tolerate here. The area is gated and you have to buzz in to be given access.

Among the most significant species I witnessed there were:

Common Moorhen
Sora
Gambel's Quayle
Crissal Thrasher
Abert's Towhee
Black Phoebe
Peregrine Falcon
Great Egret
Verdin

There are over 200 birds on their checklist and many other species were observed at this time as well.

The peregrine was especially interesting because it had made a commotion about 200 yards away from where I, and a couple of others, were standing. It had pulled a coot from the nearest pond and was standing on the ground in perfect view. The coot was on its side, its legs flailing trying to gain purchase. The falcon decided to lift off and circle over its prey. The coot, only stunned, managed to get back on its feet and made for cover in the tall vegetation. I guess both birds got taught a little life lesson.

For those who are planning to visit Las Vegas and want to get some great birding in while there, here is where to find it:

City of Henderson
Bird Viewing Preserve
Address: 2400 B Moser Dr.
Phone: 702-566-2940
Open: 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. 7 days a week

You can bird on your own but they also conduct tours and workshops frequently as well.