Northern Pygmy-Owl

Hi Folks -

I have had many inquiries regarding the Northern Pygmy-Owl.  The bird was originally located by KC and Eric on Wednesday and was reported on the Utah County birdnet.  Here is KC's original post:

Eric Huish and I went out birding today in the county. We went up to Aspen Grove. It was around 4 in the afternoon. Our first bird we heard was a Northern Pygmy Owl that was answering to Erics Imitation of a Pygmy Owl. It ended up flying right into where we were. We got fantastic looks at it. Also there was an unexpected Bald Eagle soaring. First since the spring for me in Utah. Also birds like Golden Crowned Kinglets were at the campground. It was beautiful to say the least. Great weather. Plus it is Erics birthday, so what a beautiful bird to enjoy on your birthday.

KC Childs

Here are some more specific directions to the area where the bird was seen:  Take Exit #275 (8th North Orem) from I-15 and go east to Provo Canyon.  Continue up the canyon until you see the sign for Sundance and Aspen Grove.  Turn left off the canyon highway and follow the road past Sundance and the Aspen Grove Family Group Area.  Just after you pass the pay station, you will see a parking lot on the left side of the road which is the Mt. Timpanogos Trailhead area.  As you drive in, you will see some restrooms on your right at the end of the parking lot.  Follow the trail that leads from the restrooms for maybe a couple hundred yards until the trail bends left and starts a steep climb up the side of the hill.  It is a short, easy walk to this point.

The first time we saw the bird was at 4:00 on Thursday.  He landed in some deciduous trees right along the trail just before it bends and starts to climb.  On Friday morning, we saw the bird around 8:45.  This time he was sitting in the top of a very tall conifer tree and could be seen roughly a hundred yards up the trail from where the trail starts at the restrooms.

Hope this answers everybody's questions.  If not, please let me know.

Pomera