Sanpete Co., 10/16-10/17

I just got back from a couple days of birding in
Sanpete County.  Needless to say, I had a GREAT
time!!!  Two days of nothing but birding, eating,
sleeping, and more birding!!!  Kris talked about
Alpenglow a few days ago--- I don't know if I can
pronounce it, but I'm sure I am emitting a
self-induced "Alpenglow"!!
Some of the highlights include 2 flocks of Gray Jays
on the Skyline Drive (total of about 25 birds), as
well as Clark's Nutcrackers and Red Breasted
Nuthatches.  I heard/saw woodpeckers almost every time
I stopped the van (which was mucho plenty times!)
Between Fountain Green and Wales I was able to study a
Ferruginous Hawk that was totally oblivious to my
presence, or so he/she acted.  As it finally soared to
the south, it flared it's tail just to make sure there
was no chance I would confuse it with "one of them
Redtails"!!
I think Maple Canyon Campground is a treasure waiting
to be discovered!!  In the short time I spent there, I
saw Red Naped Sapsuckers, White Breasted Nuthatches,
Townsend's Solitaires, StellEr's Jays, Ruby Crowned
Kinglets, as well as many chickadee's and Yellow Rump
Warblers.
Between Manti and Sterling there was a flock of 19
Sandhill Cranes, and on Gunnison Reservoir there was a
white floating island of Pelicans.  I counted 25, but
was told that a week ago there were over 80.
Near Mayfield I saw several Mountain Bluebirds and a
Sage Thrasher (shouldn't this guy be headed south by
now?)
I'm starting to enjoy these times when my wife visits
her sister for a few days!!!

Ain't Birding Great!!!
Bruce