Yesterday we sat.

KC and I did our Big Sit yesterday. Our goal was to beat last years total of 42 species. We moved our circle north a few miles (we sat at Lincoln Point last year) to the Southwest corner of the Provo Airport Dike. We identified 53 species passing last year by 11. We birded from 6 AM to about 2 PM and I went back out latter from 6:15 PM to 8 PM.

Species of interest included a Barn Owl flying over the marsh south of the dike at dawn, an unexpected Townsend's Solitaire, Bewick's Wren, Sage Thrasher, MacGillivray's Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Greater Yellowlegs, and Long-billed Dowitchers.

We also missed some species I thought we would get like Killdeer and Kestrel. We went out to our count spot the day before and saw a few species we weren't able to got on the day of the sit. These species were Merlin, Wilson's Phalarope, Violet-green Swallow, Bank Swallow, and Great Horned Owl. I also saw a Great Horned Owl hunting along the dike on my way out to our spot the morning of the sit and saw one again as I was leaving that night but we couldn't get one were it counted. We also we might have seen Scaup, Green-winged Teal and some other waterfowl but they were to far out to be sure.

Species List - Big Sit 2003 - Provo Airport Dike

Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe