Willard Bay State Park

Willard Bay State Park will have to be re-named Yellow-rumped Warbler State Park based on what I saw there from 10:00 to 4:00 yesterday.  I counted the warblers and came up with a gazillion and a half.  But good news--I saw a few other species as well.  It's a great place to bird because of the diversity of habitats the location offers--brush, open water, mud flats, and riparian deciduous woods.  I'm glad to report I saw nice birds in all areas.

Along the north dike I saw a pair of Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, American Goldfinches, House Finches, White-Crowned Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Ring-necked Pheasant both clanking away in brush and strutting across an open area with tail cocked, and a Great Egret.  Except for the egret, I saved studying south into the bay because I expected to cross the mud flats later to the ever-decreasing water.

The marina has become mud flat habitat also and I saw lots of Killdeer, a few American Avocets, a Solitary Sandpiper, and a handful of peeps.  I heard a Downy Woodpecker in the Russian Olive trees along the interstate.  I saw another Blue-gray Gnatcatcher that alerted me with its insect-like "Beeeee!  Beeeee!" call, on the dike west of the marina.  I crossed the mudflats west of the marina and generally headed toward a group of about 30 Forster's Terns.  The numbers of terns now at Willard Bay is amazing.  There were many, many more terns in the extreme northeastern curve of the bay and flying over the water.  Based on Julie VanMoorhem's report from 2 weeks ago, I bet Common Terns were there too.  I didn't get up to that group to investigate and I should have!  I was able to approach the Forster's to a distance of about 100 feet to study them.  I also saw a Bonaparte's Gull with the terns that looked delicate and diminutive compared to the ever-present Ring-billed Gulls.

When an American Pelican flew through my binoculars view I decided to count the string that followed.  They're easy to count because they fly in follow-the-leader fashion.  When I got to about 80 I put my binocs down and looked south...and saw, literally, hundreds still coming.  Joke was on me.  I stopped counting.  Maybe they're not so easy to count.  Lots of Western and Clark's Grebes punctuated the open water.  I also saw Snowy Egrets, Great-blue Herons, Double-crested Cormorants, and peeps that I didn't take the time to ID.

Along the Nature Trail, I participated in an impromptu event I'll call "The Small Sit".  I sat down on a culvert pipe that channels a hidden east-west stream under a road between the Nature Trail parking area and Eagle campground.  I watched.  The first thirsty bird was a Black-capped Chickadee.  It clung sideways and low on a willow sapling growing out of the water.  This moment was the Paridae pause that refreshes.  After the drinks the chickadee continued to forage through the tangle of undergrowth with an energetic "Chickadee-dee-dee!" bursting forth.  A robin landed on a fallen branch, dipped into the stream, and bowed deeply with beak pointed toward the sky to get that gravity thing going.  An Orange-crowned Warbler landed on the rusty, dead leaves of the same branch, but didn't stay for a drink.  The robin quickly turned and chortled something that distinctly sounded like, "Hey!  You!  Get offa my branch!"  And the warbler left.  Far down the stream, I saw motion in a leafy green tree and a broad yellow supercillium on the move.  The yellow flashed out again, and then the owner, a female Townsend's Warbler, flitted down and landed on the mat of vegetation in the middle of the stream for her drink.  I also saw many Yellow-rumped Warblers and a few Song Sparrows taking their turn at the stream.  I heard a Gray Catbird in thick willows that choked the stream behind me and a Northern Flicker.

If a bird dog is a dog that leads the way to birds, a bird bird must be a bird that leads the way to birds.  Yesterday's bird bird was an American Robin, that publicized the presence of a Great Horned Owl in a Cottonwood Tree with agitated and strident tones until I paid attention.  The Yellow-rumped Warblers also insisted, vocally, that I take a look.  A Northern Flicker hopped along branches adjacent to the owl calling, "Kleer!  Kleer!".  The owl didn't pay much attention to any of them, but it paid attention to me as I strolled across the campgrounds and took a seat at a picnic table to watch.  The owl riveted a wide-eyed, direct and Halloween-like gaze on me.  Superman's x-ray vision couldn't possibly be more intense than the gaze I sustained.  The owl gradually relaxed a bit and finally swiveled its head away.  When it turned back to check on me again, it blinked, heavy-lidded and  languorous.  I pretty much ended that moment when I tried to approach the tree to within 50 feet or so.  The owl deployed to another nearby cottonwood.  I did not approach it again; instead, I inspected the ground beneath the original perch hoping to find pellets that would indicate the tree was a favorite--it's not.

At other times during the day I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, surprisingly quiet American Magpies, an unidentified accipiter that was probably a Sharpie, an American Kestrel, and a Spotted Towhee.  Whatever that total of species is I regard it as pretty darn good for one location--Yellow-rumped Warbler State Park.  Good birding, everyone!

Kris