Mantua and Environs

I birded the lower Willard Basin road southwest of Mantua and Mantua Reservoir today.  At the lower elevation, the Willard Basin road area is primarily forested with open deciduous woods and runs along the Box Elder Creek drainage.  The road up to Willard Peak is the domain of ATVs.  If you choose to bird this area, it's impossible to get away from them, but the multiple ATV trails provide easy walking for the birder.  I minded the noise; the birds didn't seem to.

The combined ear-piercing sound of many Broad-tailed Hummers and Cedar Waxwings was almost enough to drive me back into the truck at my first stop.  A Turkey Vulture rose up off an embankment like a pterodactyl and perched high in a snag, but was still below me in the Box Elder Creek ravine.  I had the opportunity to study this bird for quite some time.  I cannot even say this was a face only a mother could love.  This particular vulture was also missing all the toes on one foot and its tarsus ended in a blunt club.  No wonder this bird seems to carry with it the spectre of death!

Other highlights included seeing at least four Hermit Thrushes from within the trees instead of me peering in from outside and seeing the usual nothing.  I was determined to track down thrushes today instead of hearing them play their flutes from a secretive thicket, so I climbed up the road embankment onto a cool wooded slope and waited.  The waiting had its rewards!  I also saw a very busy pair of Black-capped Chickadee parents intent on stuffing the yellow gapes of their fluffy, demanding quintuplets, a pair of Lazuli Bunting fledglings being supervised and fed by Daddy, and too many lovely Western Tanagers.  Virtually every bird I saw gleaning or carrying insects today had a big, fat, green worm in its beak.  Today must have been big, fat, green worm day.

Mantua Reservoir was also alive with lots of birds and breeding activity.  I saw American White Pelican, Ruddy Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, American Coot with chicks, Pied-billed, Eared, Western, and Clark's Grebes, Caspian and Forster's Terns, California and Franklin's Gulls, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Bullock's Oriole, American Goldfinch, Western Kingbird, heard Eastern Kingbird, Yellow Warbler, Tree, Cliff, and Barn Swallows, Song Sparrow, and the usual blackbirds.  Best sightings here were the brilliant male American Goldfinches teed up on teasel heads and a Forster's Tern perched on a buoy at the boat ramp intently watching all the activity like the neighborhood busybody.  I also saw a Western Grebe proudly showing off a 6-inch fish to its two grebe buddies.  The fisher didn't seem too interested in eating it; seemed to me the bird was just teasing the have-nots.

The north end of the reservoir provided a thrilling sight--a grebe nesting colony.  I estimate 50-100 pairs of Western and Clark's Grebes are building nests on top a floating mat of duck or pond weed or are sitting on eggs already.  It's amazing how elegant swimmers these big grebes are, but boy-oh-boy, do they look clumsy when standing next to their nests!  I was also intrigued to see that the Forster's Terns have interspersed their nesting sites among the grebes.  I could see a couple Forster's nest sites with two white eggs and no nest material.  The Caspian Terns may have nest sites on the vegetation as well, but at the distance, I couldn't clearly decide.  The ultimate thrill for me was when three pair of grebe rose up and propelled themselves across the water in their courtship display.  Two pair were Western; the third pair looked like it was a mixed marriage of Western and Clark's.  Walkers can approach within scope range as I did by walking north on the dike, but the distance is still quite far. I think the best way to see this colony is by boat.  A trip here might make a nice canoeing outing with the family.

Mantua is located on Route 89/91 east of Brigham City.  To reach Willard Basin Road, exit the highway at the westernmost Mantua exit, also signed for Box Elder Campground.  Turn right on Main Street.  Main Street proceeds southwest and becomes Willard Basin Road.  Exits to reach the reservoir from the highway are easily visible as 89/91 runs adjacent to the town of Mantua.  The reservoir dike runs along the entire east side and most of the south side, and don't forget to bring your spotting scope!

Kris