Great Owls at Field Trip

We just got back from our UT County birders field trip to Payson Canyon and were successful in locating
both a Northern Saw-whet Owl and a Flammulated Owl. We heard the Saw-whet at our first stop
and after a short hike into the woods we found it and were able to get great looks at it.
We had to work a bit harder for the Flammulated, but finally got one to cooperate with us and
we got a great look at it as well.

Other birds of note were Purple Martins (they are nesting between mile 21 and 22) and a pair of
Red-naped Sapsuckers at the same location.

We managed to avoid the rain until we had found our two main target birds, but as soon as
we had found them it started to rain. We had 27 people and 10 vehicles in our caravan.
It was a great night!

Bryan Shirley