Desert Birds

Today's hot weather didn't discourage the bird activity on Route 83 from I-15 exit 368 at Corinne to the Golden Spike National Historic Site.  In Corinne, we saw a field with thousands of White-faced Ibis looking like contortionists as they struck their most alluring courtship poses.  We also saw Long-billed Curlew and Willet.  South of the rocky outcropping and just east of the turnoff to Salt Creek WMA, we saw Lark Sparrow showing off their almost Harlequin-looking head plumage, Northern Mockingbird, and many Western Meadowlark.  I heard a Rock Wren on the north side of the road, but I wimped out under the intense deer fly activity and took refuge in the truck before I saw it.  Less than a half mile west, one large salt flat area is still covered with water and harbored American White Pelican, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, and waterfowl that didn't get much attention courtesy of the flies.  On the north side of the road we saw a female Northern Harrier hunkered well down in the grass and likely on a nest.  Much nearer to the NHS a beautiful Swainson's Hawk sat on a deeply undercut embankment and appeared to be preoccupied with a beehive of Cliff Swallow activity under a culvert.  A Red-tailed Hawk tried to offset the heat by perching with its beak open and wings partially spread.  We saw Turkey Vultures circling over a hiker on the Big Fill Walk Trail--those vultures are no dummies; they knew it was too hot for a lone hiker to be out walking in the desert.

The area around the Golden Spike NHS was Sage Thrasher Central--teed up on sage brush, under my truck in the parking lot, perched on my luggage rack, on fenceposts.  We also saw several Say's Phoebes around outbuildings.  One adult was escorting a young 'un and another was sitting on a nest under the eaves over the office windows.  This bird had used a Barn Swallow nest as a platform for its own nest.  The Cliff and Barn Swallows were also active at the entrance way.  Along the west auto tour loop, we saw many Horned Lark, Western Meadowlark, and got gorgeous looks at another Lark Sparrow.  Pretty bird!

Not a bad list for roadside birding on a trip whose primary purpose was to sightsee.  I surmise that Golden Spike NHS is best birded early in the morning before the laser-beam sun scorches the earth and visitors alike.  The birds didn't seem to mind, but the birders were wilting.  Go prepared for sun at the site and deerflies if you bird along the way.

Kris